I’m not a doctor (and don’t play one on TV) but in all my years in the SOF community, I would argue that the number one most important supplement for any operator to take, would be Essential Amino Acids or EAAs.
EAA’s carry all the Benefits of Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) without any drawbacks. After exhaustive research and hours scouring over any public medical data on the subject, it’s clear to me that the scientific and medical literature supports EAAs as one of the best, if not the most essential supplement for any operator to take in order to optimize recovery, performance, and overall health.
- EAAs are far superior to branch chain amino acids (BCAAs)
- There are 9 EAAs the body cannot manufacture that are needed to complete protein synthesis
- Only 3 of the 9 EAAs are found in BCAAs
So the verdict is in: EAAs beat out BCAAs as the best amino acid supplement, and their benefits go far beyond building muscle. EAAs are a true nutritional powerhouse that can help you optimize your training, recovery, sleep, mood, and so much more.
But don’t take my word for it; listen to what three of the world’s leading fitness experts have to say:
“EAAs – Are the No. 1, most important nutritional supplement for anyone.”
“Lance Armstrong, George Hincapie, and Viatcheslav Eckimov all used a regimen of them during the Tour de France to stay highly anabolic during their brutal multi-day cycling race.”
Proteins are composed of amino acids, some of which your body can synthesize and others not. The nine you need yet cannot synthesize, and thus need to ingest, are called essential amino acids (EAAs). A protein is said to be complete when it has enough of each EAA.
Finding a quality EAA supplement can prove to be challenging. Many have added sugar, stimulants, artificial ingredients, or extra unneeded calories. I recommend these two (and no, I don’t get paid by either of them).
- Kion Aminos: It is one of the cleanest, most effective amino acids formulations available, and the ability to be absorbed and metabolized by the body in just 20 minutes.
- Alpha EAA: Not only does Alpha EAA include a full-spectrum EAA but is also comprised of a combination of Ashwagandha KSM-66, Alpha-GPC, VitaCholine and Huperzine A.
Post by Daniel Elkins (currently serving Green Beret, 19th SFG)