Transferring Education Benefits to Family Members

You are currently viewing Transferring Education Benefits to Family Members
"November 2017: National Veterans and Military Families Month" by The White House is marked with CC PDM 1.0

Since 2009, Servicemembers have been able to transfer their Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to their dependents or spouse. Over the past 10 years since this policy has been active, more than one million Servicemembers have chosen to give their benefits to their families. We believe this program honors the sacrifice these heroes and their families make to serve our country, and it ensures that SOF members can choose how to utilize their benefits in the way that is best for them and their families.

The Department of Defense proposed changes to eligibility to transfer your unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits that confused and frustrated Servicemembers who intended to transfer this education benefits to their families. Unfortunately, many Servicemembers and Veterans are unable to transfer their education benefits because of a technicality or miscommunication, financially distressing military families who believed in the promise of the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

Make sure everything is in order before, during and after your request to transfer!

The following must all be true in order for you to transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to your family:

  • You must be on active duty or in the Selected Reserve
  • You have completed at least 6 years of service on the date your request is approved, and
  • You agree to add 4 more years of service, and
  • The person getting benefits is a qualified dependent that has enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS).

DoD ultimately decides if your transfer request is validated, and VA is dependent on their decision. For more information on what is included in transferring your education benefits, check out VA’s official website.